Footsteps in the Sand – Hunting Island, SC

Hunting Island Beach - just you and your footsteps

It’s the crunch of sand under your feet, the feel of fine grains running through your toes, the smell of salt and the melody of the ocean in your ears. It can soothe you to the deepest sleep, lull you into a silent meditation or send you bounding like a wild, happy kangaroo down the shore. It’s the beach, and here is South Carolina it’s oh-so-baby-beautiful.

Hunting Island is one of the hundreds of Sea Islands on the Carolina coast. This little 5,000 acre paradise sits ~15 miles east of Beaufort, SC and was once a popular hunting preserve. It boasts 4 miles of pristine beach, a deep forest, a cool 19th century lighthouse (only $2 to climb), and endless hours of romance with your honey.

Funky low-tide striations

I haven’t seen beach this nice, this dog-friendly (pooch is welcome everywhere) or this deserted in years. There’s a few folks out, but most mornings and we have the place entirely to ourselves. We’ve spent a sublime week walking the shore, playing in the water and absorbing the beauty of the ever-changing sea and sand.

It just goes to show, you never know what kind of hidden treasures you’ll unwrap on the road. Can’t wait to see what our wheels bring us next…

Hunting Island Lighthouse
Hunting Island Lighthouse

So much sand, so much blue....
So much sand, so much blue….

Wild and wonderful

Happy doggie, happy hubby
Happy doggie, happy hubby
SPONSORED LINK: SPONSORED LINK:
Click HERE To Shop Amazon.com

We LOooVE Comments, So Please Do

1. Leo Murray says

Hi Nina,

You are such an evocative ….. and talented …… writer. I really delight in reading the accounts of your wanderings.

I have in mind another bicycle trip across the country ….. in 2012 …… possibly starting around San Fransisco and terminating in North or South Carolina ——– so I’ve especially enjoyed your recent entries.

All the best.

Leo

• libertatemamo says

Leo,
      Thanks so much for the lovely compliment
      Your bike trip sounds fabulous! Do keep us in the loop on the plans! Maybe we can meet-up somewhere along the road…who knows

2. Barbara Pollock says

I just found your website and it’s wonderful! I’m planning a trip to Hunting Island early in the spring. I haven’t been camping in years but I just purchased a nice tent from L. L. Bean and I’m getting my gear organized while the winter rages here in PA. My husband is skeptical about camping but wants us to do some things together now that our kids are grown. And we need a dog-friendly campsite. I’ll be reading all your posts. Thank You!!!

• libertatemamo says

Barbara, How wonderful! I started the same way w/ hubby…got him interested via tent camping and then urged him on from there :)
      Hunting Island should be a wonderful first trip. Since you’ve got a tent you can book one of the smaller sites with beach view. It’s so gorgeous there! Enjoy the trip and let me know how it turns out. Nina

3. Roger Olivier says

Hi guys (Nina and Paul) your site is gorgeous ! I pass days and days reading it all the way back from page 86. :-) It’s well written and very professional, love it ! Within a few years, if everything goes well, we’ll be doing the same. An extended road trip in the U. S. in our own RV ! 6 months in The U.S. and 6 months in Europe.
    I would love to see you guys going east (New England or even Michigan). What do you think?
    Have a nice weekend,
    Cheers from Belgium,
    Roger & Marianne.

• libertatemamo says

I am SO IMPRESSED you’re reading everything that far back. I can barely remember what I wrote that first year so I’ll have to go back and do the same myself one day.

Funny you should mention Michigan. We’re actually contemplating a trip there next year. We LOVE the western states, but are starting to feel the urge to explore a bit further. 2016 may be the year. Oh and one day we also want to go & RV in Europe. It’s on “the list”!

Trackbacks

A Comment For Your Thoughts?