Confused About Internet On The Road? Here’s A Book For You!

I don’t often do book reviews on this blog, but every now and then a good one comes along and I feel compelled to share. If you’ve never heard of Technomadia they are a young couple who’ve been fulltime RVers for over 6 years. Their blog was one of the first ones I signed-up to follow when we went on the road and I’ve been a big fan ever since. One of the things I consistently look forward to are their tech topics. These guys are true geeks, but manage to talk about the techno-stuff in a clear, easy and fun way. I’ve learned a ton from them over the years, and it’s led to improvements in our own RV life.
mobileinternethandbook_header1

Their latest endeavor tackles the oft-complicated topic of internet on the road. With so many options out there it can be terribly confusing trying to figure out what to buy and how to put it together. What if you only need a little bit of internet? Or, on the other hand, what if you need it all the time? No matter what your level the new The Mobile Internet Handbook – US RVer Edition will cover you needs. In their words this book “covers cellular, WiFi, satellite, HAM, cable/DSL, boosting, hints & tricks, managing bandwidth and most importantly – setting your expectations for what life on the road with mobile internet is like.”

It’s well-written, easy-to-understand and goes through all the options for US-based travelers in a fun, clear way. I wish this thing had been out when we started RVing! With over 85 pages and 26,000 words, there’s not much they don’t cover. Whether you’re just starting to investigate your RV internet options, or possibly looking to upgrade your existing system I recommend giving this book a read. More info on the book HERE.

Congrats to Cherie & Chris on their book-launch!

SPONSORED LINK: SPONSORED LINK:
Click HERE To Shop Amazon.com

We LOooVE Comments, So Please Do

1. says

Perfect timing Nina….thanks. Fingers crossed…if all goes well, we’ll be full-time soon and need to figure out some of these things.

2. Mark Wise says

Dear Paul and Nina,

This is not specifically about the book, but to tell you that I’m excited AND terrified…on June 28th, I’ll become a full timer RVer! Fresh meat lol!

Two weeks ago I bought a 2004 Tioga motor home, 24,700 miles in great shape. I’ve been educating myself on the internet and by speaking with RVers at the Lackland AFB Famcamp, Lackland AFB, San Antonio, TX (I’m retired Army).

Oh, and I know all about dumping, as I watched Robin William in “RV” lol!

I belong to “Boondockers Welcome,” a site to find fellow Rvers throughout the US and Canada who will let you spend the night on their property in your RV.

I will let you know from time-to-time how this goes!

Mark Wise

• says

OUTSTANDING! Congrats on the new rig & the new life. Do check in and let us know how it goes. The first 6 months can be fun (and scary), but after that you’ll usually find a good groove. Best of luck to you!

3. Allen says

Thankyou for introducing me to Technomadia. I chatted with Cherie and subscribed to their posts and will probably buy the book. It appears to answer a lot of questions I have and will have. Looking forward to lighthouse stories & pictures from you later this summer.

4. says

Awesome find! No doubt one of my absolute priorities is getting internet, but it’s so hit or miss. Hopefully this book with inspire a more systematic solution. :) I’m lucky enough to still have “unlimited data” as an iPhone early-adopter — which means I can often use tether where there’s no wifi — but it also means I’m stuck with AT&T. Coverage is spotty, but still surprisingly good and always getting better. It’s always hilarious to be out in the middle of nowhere and suddenly get a 5-bar signal, but only while standing on a random rock formation facing a certain direction with my hat tipped at the correct angle and my tongue out.

• says

That unlimited AT&T is definitely worth “gold” and something you want to hang onto. The AT&T coverage is not bad, but not as good as Verizon so if you really need coverage you may want a Verizon-based back-up. The book goes through this, so hope you find what you need.

5. Rowanova says

Nice timing, as I’m considering some changes. I’m considering dumping the cable company and their internet connection. Going totally mobile at all times could be a sweet advantage for me. It seems this may help me understand precisely what I’d need , how to do it, the costs, expectations vs. reality, ect. Thanks for this post.

6. Bob West says

So when do you turn north and make the great trip to Alaska. It was a fantastic trip for us and we will do it again. It had a feeling like none other I have felt.

• says

We did a fair amount of backpacking (back in the day) up in Alaska and totally LOVED the state. One day I’d love to take the RV there. Wish it was a *tad* closer since it’s a loooong drive. I’m sure we’ll get there at some point.

7. martiver says

Thanks for this great tip! I have ordered the book. Enjoy your summer in Oregon!
    Marti – Seattle WA

8. Cherie - @Technomadia says

Thank you so much for taking the time to read the new eBook, Nina – that means a bunch to us! And even more so that you felt compelled to share it with your readers. *glow* We are amazed at the feedback it’s getting, and so happy that we’re able to fill a need and help our fellow RVers understand a complex topic.

9. says

I follow the Tech Nomads myself, and saw the notice about this new book. Was considering a purchase but with your endorsement, it’s now a “must buy”. Thank you for the review!!!

A Comment For Your Thoughts?