Bye Beautiful Oregon

“Well Portland Oregon and sloe gin fizz
If that ain’t love then tell me what is”
Loretta Lynn, 2004

Portland teases us with one last, glorious sunset

When Loretta sang this duet she was smitten with Portland (and perchance a touch of gin), but I have to admit we’ve been smitten by the whole state. We’re coming to the end of a much-extended stay here in Oregon. What started as a forced repair drive of ~1,000 miles for our slide turned out to be a fabulous journey in a varied and naturally beautiful state. We’ve been here 2 months (believe it or not) and in that time we’ve gawked at the pine and volcanoes in the “dry” side near Pine, revelled in the farmer’s markets in Eugene, made new friends, made even more new friends, managed a few silly adventures and spent a rich month on the northern coastline by the beach. We’ve seen every kind of weather, gorgeous lighthouses, even more kinds of views and enough to let us know we’ve got to come back and see the rest.

Oh, you ain’t seen the back of me yet….

From here we head south. We’ve got ONE last stop in Oregon…of a techie nature…which you techie geeks will thoroughly enjoy (I’ll tease you and leave you in rapt anticipation for that one), after which we high-tail it to sun and drier climes. As with every great voyage there will also be a cross-roads, a point where we’ll either decide to take the scenic route or a more direct road (depending on weather), but either way we’ll have plenty to tell along the way.

Bye beautiful Oregon. You are well worthy of your motto Alis Volat Propiis (“She Flies With Her Own Wings”). Making use of equally infamous words (albeit without any fancy latin) I can only say “we’ll be back”.

SPONSORED LINK: SPONSORED LINK:
Click HERE To Shop Amazon.com

We LOooVE Comments, So Please Do

1. Jerry B. says

If you are still there in the Southern portion, you might want to stop at Bandon before you head back into Calif. There’s an animal park just south of town where you can sit in a pen and have lion, tiger, or cougar cubs walk all over you. We’ve done it about 3 times so far, and for an animal lover it’s really super.

• libertatemamo says

Oh WOW!!! Now that is JUST my kinda stop!! We’re shooting through this time around, but will most definitely have to come back for that one. I would love, love, love that experience!

• libertatemamo says

Very true! It was a bit of a blog cheat to only list the first two lines of the song since she does go on to talk about the man :)

2. Lisa Stigen says

Love,Love,Love Oregon. Wish we could have spent two months there! But as you say…we will return! We have been in Redding,CA the last 4 days. Weather is great but my husband is sick of me comparing Redding (unfavorably) to Bend. Heading out Saturday and, boy, am I ready! Will head toward Lodi. Where are you two going?

• libertatemamo says

Hi Lisa
      Oh, I know your area well! We’re headed down the 395 (hopefully…depending on weather), and then into Joshua Tree and Desert Hot Springs. Then probably onto San Diego for winter.

• libertatemamo says

Oh noooooo!!! Soooo close to each other!! We’re probably headed from here onto the 395 south. You coming that way by any chance?

• Brent says

Today just down to the Mt. Hood area. Then down to Bend and then probably over to Eugene before heading back down to the coast to make our way to CA. 395 though, thought you were in Portland?

• libertatemamo says

We’re already high-tailing it south. Spent last night in Grants Pass and will be in CA by tonight. Gotta hit the 395 while campgrounds are still open. Enjoy Eugene..definitely hit the farmers market there. Our Take on Freedom (see blog links) is there for another 2 weeks or so if you have time to look em up.

3. says

You two did have a great time, and we benefited from it! Thanks for the great tour of that beautiful state. Look forward to seeing where you land next.

• libertatemamo says

Thanks Marsha…we’re headed into our old home state of CA. Hoping for some warm weather in the passes before we drop down into the desert.

• Elsa says

Darling photo of Miss Polly! We are at Huntington Beach, SC. Nice for an Atlantic Beach! We’ll be at Markham a week from tonight. We’ll miss you!

• libertatemamo says

Oh, we most definitely miss you guys too! Bet Fin really had a blast at Hunting Island…it was our first stop on the Altantic last year and Polly just went banana’s. We’ll be thinking of you warming your toes in Markham. Wish we could be there!

4. says

Oregon is one of those wonderland places that everybody has to go back to, no matter how many times you’ve been there. Don’t know if it’s still there, but the State’s PR theme used to be “Relax in a state of enjoyment.”

5. says

Glad you guys had a good time. I love it in the Northwest. It is on our bucket list. Wanted to hear about your warranty experience on the new repairs. I am still on the fence on whether it will be worth purchasing one. Our plan is to purchased a used rig. So I assumed a warranty would be required. However, I continue to hear in general about battles to approve work.

Thanks for any input.

• libertatemamo says

Hi Deas,
      You know we haven’t actually used the warrenty yet, so hard to say (from our experience) whether it’s worth it. Our repairs so far have all fallen under the deductable and some of the last stuff we did (replace seals) is not covered. I’m still happy we have it in case something major happens, but can’t actually give you any tips on how it worked out yet.

6. Jerry B. says

If you haven’t been there before, make sure you take the Keys Ranch tour at Joshua Tree. Really interesting place and a glimpse into the history of that area. You have to reserve a spot at the ranger entrance then meet them at the ranch the next day for the tour. Enjoy 395, it’s our absolute favorite highway, and don’t forget Bodie if you haven’t been there yet.

• libertatemamo says

Oh CHEERS for the tips! I’d never done the Ranch tour so I’ll add that one to the list for when we go!

Trackbacks

A Comment For Your Thoughts?