RV Park Review – Mission Bay RV Resort, San Diego, CA
This is a so-so RV park in a FABULOUS location. We love staying here just for the access to water & beach with pooch.
NOTE/ Review updated as of last stay Mar, 2015
- Site quality = 2.5/5 Just so-so sites here. The park is probably best described as a large asphalt parking lot. It has small strips of green and trees, but sites are all asphalt and there is really no separation or privacy between campers. Sites are a decent size with full hookup (50Amp/water/elec + local cable) and most are very similar. There are several “premium” sites, but I (personally) don’t feel they are worth the extra $$
-> Premium Bay View sites have a nice water view through the back fence, but they are back-in only (so class A’s can’t face the view).
-> Premium Beach View sites have somewhat of a view, but beach is across the park from a parking lot so it’s not really that attractive
-> Super-size sites are really just longer asphalt sites
In my opinion the nicest sites are next to green strips by the facilities (sites 154, 139, 127, 112) or in the middle of the park around the low 120’s which are often quite empty (so good chance of not having a neighbour).
- Facilities = 3/5 Facilities also so-so here. Bathrooms are rather dated and have an older feel to them. Also the showers seem to take forever to warm up. However stalls are large, there is good water pressure and they are kept meticulously clean.
- Amenities = 2.5/5 Also so-so amenities here. There is a small “snack shack” on-site, a pavilion, 2 laundromats and community room, but really not much else. They do offer free Wi-Fi which “mostly” works, although it does tend to cap out with users when park is fuller.
- Location = 5/5 Location is where this place gets it’s star points. You are in a quiet corner of Mission Bay with full water-views right outside the park and small on-site beach. There are miles of walking/biking/exercising available around Mission Bay directly from the park, plus you’re crawling distance to Mission Bay Golf Course. You’re also only minutes from all San Diego’s best attractions incl. Sea World (right around the corner), Ocean Beach, Pacific Beach and even downtown. For location this can’t be beat.
- Pet friendliness = 4/5 If you want to be walking distance to dog-friendly beach & water there is really no other park in San Diego that compares. There is small on-site pet run, pretty water-side walking around De Anza Cove directly from the back park gate, plus pooch can go on the beach and around Mission Bay (before 9AM and after 4PM in winter, or after 6PM in summer). Best of all you’re only ~5 mins drive from off-leash pet heaven Fiesta Island, and ~10 mins drive to Ocean Beach Dog Beach. Only ding is the park does limit certain breeds.
Overall rating = 3.4
BONUS ALERT: Stroll along miles of beach and water with pooch!
Summary: This park is all about location, location, location. It’s in a quiet corner of Mission Bay Regional Park surrounded by green, sand and water, within easy distance of practically all San Diego’s best attractions and right next to Mission Bay Golf. Also it’s the only RV park in San Diego I know where doggie can directly access a beach (within hour limits), or be only 5 mins from off-leash beach access (Fiesta Island and OB Dog Beach). All other RV & State parks in the area do not allow dogs on the beach. So for all those reasons we really (really) love this place. But the park itself we could probably take or leave. Sites are fully asphalt with no separation/privacy and there are minimal amenities. It’s kept nicely clean, there is good security, but there are not alot of “extras”. It is also quite pricey ($50-$80/night) unless you take advantage of discounts. Water and beach-front sites are back-in only and not (in my mind) worth the $$, but on internal sites you can use Passport America for 50% off Mon-Thurs ($25/night) plus in winter the park offers excellent monthly rates ($880/mo all-inclusive). If you stay here in low season (winter) and take the discounts I think this park is one of the best locations in the city, and we’ll come back again and again just for that.
Extra Info: Good signal -> Three bars ATT LTE, three bars Verizon LTE. On-site free Wi-Fi, but it is unreliable. All sites are full hookup with cable TV. Nightly rate $50-$80. Monthly rate (winter) $880/mo (all inclusive -> 30-day stay limit then need to go out for 24 hrs before another 30-day stay). Park takes Passport America (mid-week) and Good Sam’s.SPONSORED LINK: SPONSORED LINK:
Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the product links in the post above may be “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. That said, I only ever recommend products or services I personally use and love! Wheelingit is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.