RV Park Review – Orange Grove RV Park, Bakerfield, CA
An immaculate RV park set in a lovely orange grove in S. CA. Great stop-over spot for anyone travelling I-5.
- Site quality = 4/5 Very nice sites here. They are all spacious, flat dirt, but kept in very good condition with picnic table, individual orange trees (you can pluck as much fruit as you like in season) and good hookups (50Amp/water/sewer and cable). Most are pull-throughs with a few back-ins along the far rear. Only slight ding is that there is not much separation between sites (apart from the orange trees). Most sites are very similar, but edge sites (on end of every row) do have some extra space.
- Facilities = 5/5 Very nice facilities here. Large, clean toilets with very big individual showers (huge in fact) with table and hooks for your clothes. Nice modern feel.
- Amenities = 5/5 Very good amenities. There is a cute country store and lodge (with books, puzzles and tables), a decent pool area (just a tad small, but otherwise very nice), playground, laundry, fitness room (all new equipment). RV & car washing section in back (nice, little touch), plus free WiFi (which works well -> I gather it was just updated recently). Also on-site propane and dump station.
- Location = 3/5 Bakersfield is not exactly a location destination (for most folks), but the park is a very convenient stopover for anyone travelling on I-5/99. In addition it’s nicely set ~9 miles out of town and inside an orange grove which means peace and relaxation -> a real bonus for the area. You are also just around the corner from the CA Fruit Depot.
- Pet friendliness = 4/5 Great doggie spot. There is a walking area in the orange groves all around the park, plus a very cute (and nicely sized) off-leash area in the shaded grove on the SW corner. No bags, but poop-scooper areas all around. Only ding is no real hiking out the door. Nearest hiking w/ pooch is ~10 miles away at Kern River County Park.
Overall rating = 4.2
BONUS ALERT = Pluck oranges from the tree next to your site!
Summary: We needed a good stop-over with hookups (because of the heat) on I-5 and this park had been highly recommended by just about everyone we talked to. It definitely lived up to its reputation. Set quietly ~9 miles out of town the entire park is in the middle of an orange grove, with trees at each and every site. It’s immaculately kept with large, dirt sites, good hookups and great amenities (pool, hangout room, fitness room, RV washing station…you name it). Even the WiFi works well! The only slight dings are that sites do not really have much separation (apart from the orange trees) and there’s no real hiking directly from the park. In low-season the owners book everyone with space between, but in high-season (snowbird migration) I gather it’s packed. There are a few things to do and see around town. A lovely and relaxing stop-over and one I would definitely recommend to others.
Extra Info: Good 4G & 3G Signal on Verizon. Free WiFi on-site (works well). Sites $39/night ($35 for Good Sam’s or seniors), $195/week or $450/mo (all-inclusive).
Extra, Extra Info – Other Camping? There are a few other camping options which I can recommend in the area. For smaller rigs (I would say 35-max. It’s a tad tight for our size) nearby Kern River County Park is a lovely non-hookup park set beautifully right next to the river. Surrounding area has lots of hiking, trees, picnic area and recreation. For those looking for a “freebie” Camping World allows overnight camping in their lot.
Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in this blog post may be affiliate links, so, if you click on the link and make a purchase, I receive a commission. Note that all opinions are 100% my own and I only link to products we personally use, thoroughly love and absolutely recommend! Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. WheelingIt is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.